Application and Hiring Process
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with the Highlands County Sheriff's Office.
This agency has employment opportunities in the Sworn and Civilian Capacities. Click here for employment application and open positions.
Prior to hiring, the following requirements must be successfully met:
- Must be 19 years of age or older (18 for Civilian Positions).
- Have a good police record.
- Possess a valid Florida Driver's License and have an acceptable driving record.
- Be a United States Citizen. (Sworn and Certified Positions)
- Not have used, tried, tasted, experiment with, or possessed marijuana within the past one (1) year; or used, tried, tasted, experimented with any other illegal controlled substance within the past (3) three years; or sold/delivered any illegal controlled substance at any time.
- Successfully pass a written National Police Officer/National Corrections Officer Selection test, if applicable.
- Successfully pass a Physical Abilities Test (P.A.T.) (Deputy Sheriff and Detention Deputy Positions)
- Oral Interview
- Urinalysis examination
- Background Investigation and reference checks
- Physical examination and EKG for designated positions
- Polygraph examination
- Psychological test (Sworn and Certified Positions)
- Acceptable credit history
- If a Veteran, possess an Honorable discharge or uncharacterized.
- Successfully pass a keyboarding test, if typing or data entry work is required for the position for which you are applying.
- Be able to perform the essential functions of the position for which you are applying.
Originals of the following items must be submitted with your application**:
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- High School Diploma, GED or College Transcripts
- If a Veteran, copy of Form DD-214 stating "Honorable" Discharge (member 4 copy) or Uncharacterized.
- Proof of registration as required by Federal Military Service Act (males aged 18-26)
- Copy of Florida Department of Law Enforcement State Certificate
- Name change documents (marriage, adoption, etc.)
- Any other applicable diplomas and/or certificates may be included
** If you are mailing the application, you must have the application witnessed and notarized prior to returning. You will need to mail copies of all the documents as requested in the application and be prepared to produce the originals at your next appointment.
- State of Florida Retirement
- $15,000 Life Insurance
- Health Insurance Coverage
- Dental and Vision Coverage
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Paid Vacation and Sick Leave
For more information regarding application procedures or to obtain an application by mail, contact the Human Resources Division at 863-402-7263. An application may also be downloaded from this web site.
The Highlands County Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, religion, or any other legally protected status.